Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Beginning the journey

Having been to Greece on holiday (it is my favourite holiday destination) on numerous occasions, I have picked up some words and phrases but certainly not enought to survive.  
It is my dream to take a few months in a summer and island-hop in my own boat, staying in remote little villages on the islands and communicating with the locals fluently. This is going to require learning the language.
Another reason that I think learning Greek is beneficial, for everyone not just for my holidaying pleasure, is to help us improve our English. There are a great many words that are directly Greek or influenced by Greek through Latin and French.
Here is an interesting list of Greek words commonly used in English.

Finally learning a new language works our brains and makes us smarter.
Whatever your motivation I hope that we can overcome the expected troubled waters of learning a new language. 

No comments:

Post a Comment